Having children brings so much joy, but it also brings a constant worry about their safety. As parents we often focus our attention on immediate common threats: household cleaners, laundry soaps, pools, toilets etc. What sometimes slips our mind is how crafty kids really are. It’s when our child walks up to us proclaiming they’ve swallowed a coin or have a coco puff lodged in their nose, that the reality sets in. There are overlooked dangers all around us, some not as threatening, but a danger none the less.
One often overlooked threat is coin lithium batteries, which can be found around most homes in everyday items like remote controls, keyless entry devices for your car, flameless candles and children’s books with sound. If ingested, these coin-sized lithium batteries can cause serious chemical burns as little as two hours. As a mom of four, and someone who often thinks I have surely covered all risks over the past 13 years, I admit I never knew how risky these little batteries could be, and I’m not alone. In a survey conducted by Energizer, 62 percent of parents reported being unaware of the risk associated with coin lithium batteries.
|Prize packs and information provided by Energizer. Any opinions expressed are solely my own and were in no way influenced.|
In support of National Childhood Injury Prevention Week (September 1-7, 2013), the National Safety Council and Energizer have teamed up to share some important tips every parent should know to help prevent injuries from the ingestion of Coin Lithium batteries to help keep kids safe.
The 4 S’s of Coin Lithium Battery Safety
- Store devices that use coin lithium batteries out of reach of children
- Secure the battery compartments of devices
- Select battery packaging that meets federal guidelines for child resistance, such as Energizer’s coin lithium battery packaging
- Share this information with your friends and family
Please keep in mind, as I’m sure you know, children are crafty and in use with certain products can still gain access to these batteries – so be aware and help spread the word.If it is suspected that a child has swallowed a coin lithium battery, it is important to go to the emergency department immediately. For more information on child safety and coin lithium battery safety, please visit nsc.org, www.energizer.com, TheBatteryControlled.com and www.poison.org/battery.
Win It: Getting the word out about Coin Lithium Battery Safety is important to Energizer and they hope you'll pass along 4'S. And for your work in getting the word out one lucky reader will win a Enegizer prize pack featuring:
- Two (2) packages of Energizer Coin Lithium batteries - to be store safely
- One (1) Energizer LED Nightlight (winner’s choice between Sleeping Beauty or Cars)
- One (1) Energizer Weatheready 2-in-1 LED Light