1. Off course the number one rule in healthy teeth is to teach your child to brush at least twice a day. Brushing is the number one most effective method for removing the plaque from your teeth that can lead to decay and cavities. They should be brushing for at least 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Is something I honestly was not aware of until recently. If for some reason your child has to miss brushing at some point in the day make sure they at least remember to brush that night. Brushing before bed is the most important time to brush. Overnight is when all those germs, sugars and whatever else settle in and start doing the most damage.
3. Teach your children the benefits of flossing and how to floss properly. Flossing is essential for removing plaque and food from in between your teeth and along the gum line that brushing alone may miss. There are some neat kid friendly flossing products on the market that will help make floss appeal to your child
4. It's important for your child to regularly visit the dentist for cleanings and check-ups usually around twice a year.
5. Fluoride! Fluoride is a great added prevention for cavities. Besides mouth washes children can also get daily doses of fluoride through vitamins and water. Many kid marketed bottled water has added fluoride. You can also check to see if your tap water like mine already contains added fluoride.Some added facts I learned that are kid friendly:
Chewing Trident sugar free gum for 20 minutes after a meal can help fight cavities!
Xylitol, a sugar free sweetener in Trident, has been shown to loosen plaque.
I bet your kids will love those facts!
“I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Trident blogging program, making me eligible to get a $25 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click HERE .”